The Definitive Guide to Sterling Silver - How Does it Compare to Gold & Platinum?
What is Sterling Silver?
Sterling silver is one of the most popular metals for making jewelry. It is also not as expensive as gold or platinum, which makes it much more accessible to the average person.
Sterling silver is a metal alloy that consists of 92.5% pure silver, with the remaining 7.5% usually being copper or other metals that are less reactive than copper in order to protect against corrosion and help prevent tarnishing.
Sterling Silver is one of the most popular metals for making jewelry. It can be found in rings, necklaces, earrings, and bracelets, just to name a few items of wearables. Sterling Silver is also not as expensive as gold or platinum which makes it much more accessible to the average person on a budget!
What Makes Silver So Special
Silver is a rare metal and is one of the most valuable metals in the world. With a lot of silver being mined every year, it's not that hard to find. What makes silver so special?
Silver is a rare metal with a lot of practical applications. It has a high electrical conductivity, which means it can be used in wiring, medical equipment, and electronics. It also has antibacterial properties which make it an ideal choice for surgical tools and instruments. It's also resistant to corrosion so it can be used for tableware, silverware, and jewelry without worry about rusting or tarnishing over time.
What are the Differences Between Sterling Silver and Gold & Platinum?
Some of the major differences between sterling silver and gold or platinum, like durability and price.
- Durable and doesn't tarnish as fast as other metals.
- More affordable than other precious metals.
- Can be easily customized with simple tools.
- Commonly used in costume jewelry and silverware.
- Platinum is a much more durable metal than silver or gold as it doesn't oxidize over time and it also never turns black when exposed to the air. It's also harder than gold so it's perfect for those who wear their watches day in day out because it won't scratch as easily as silver or gold would, meaning no need for polishing! - Platinum is more expensive than gold and sterling